With Bonfire Night fast approaching, Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service is warning people not to take risks with fireworks.
While most people treat fireworks with respect, a small minority treat them as toys and forget that they are actually explosives. To stay safe this 5 November, always remember the following advice:
· Keep fireworks in a closed metal box and take them out one at a time.
· Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on each firework. Read them by torchlight – NEVER use a naked flame.
· Light fireworks at arm’s length using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick.
· Stand back after lighting.
· NEVER go back to a firework once lit – it may go off in your face.
· Keep a bucket of water handy.
· Used fireworks should be collected after the display with care. Douse with water, bury or place in a metal container.
· Keep children under control.
· Keep pets indoors.
Bonfires present additional hazards when it’s dark. If you must light a bonfire in connection with a fireworks display, then:
· Site well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs, and ALWAYS away from fireworks.
· Before lighting the fire, check that no pets or children are hiding inside it.
· Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side.
· NEVER use flammable liquids such as paraffin or petrol to light the fire.
· Don’t burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint or bottles.
· Keep everyone away from the fire, especially children, who must be supervised all the time.
· In case of emergency, keep buckets of water, the garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready.
· Pour water on the embers before leaving.
For further safety advice in the run-up to fireworks night, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk