Westonbirt, the National Arboretum is again an Enchanted Christmas place until 19 December.
Alongside carols and festive treats of mulled wine and roast chestnuts, visitors will be able to take the 45 minute Illuminated Trail around the Old Arboretum. The trail takes in some of the gems of Westonbirt’s collection, spectacularly highlighting the beauty and shape of the trees.
Children can see Father Christmas, who this year will be dressed in his traditional green costume especially for Westonbirt. Historically, Father Christmas wore a green outfit rather than the relatively modern red suit we recognise today.
Julie McKellar, events coordinator, commented: “Westonbirt is world renowned for its fantastic tree collection. This year Father Christmas will wear his original green colour to celebrate the abundance of trees and nature found at the National Arboretum.”
Join Father Christmas and his elves from 4.45pm on 26 November to turn on the lights. He will then meet and greet youngsters throughout the four week Enchanted Christmas event.
Westonbirt’s Enchanted Christmas takes place every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening to 19 December, from 5 to 8.30pm, with the last entry at 7.15pm. The Illuminated Trail is accessible for wheelchairs and if you would like to hire a mobility scooter, you can book one in advance by calling 01666 881218.
Admission is £8 for adults, £7 for concessions and children are £4. Discounted entry is available for pre-booked groups over 10 people and Friends of Westonbirt Arboretum members receive half price entry on Fridays.
For more information, or to buy your tickets online, visit: www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt
Other Westonbirt treats to get you in the festive spirit…
• Visit the Westonbirt Plant Centre to buy a sustainably sourced real Christmas tree, on sale from 1 December between 10am and 5pm.
• There will be Christmas market stalls on site, or pop into the Forest Shop, which will open until 8.30pm during the event with a host of great Christmas gift ideas.
• Make it an extra special evening with a Christmas carvery at Westonbirt’s Maples restaurant. Open from 5.30 to 7.30pm during the Enchanted Christmas and serves a two-course traditional dinner. The cost is £15.95 for adults or £8.95 for children (vegetarian option available). Booking is essential, so call 01666 880558 or email email@example.com
• Children’s Reindeer Trail: Discover the reasons behind many of our winter traditions and help Father Christmas find his missing reindeer. Available from the Great Oak Hall from 1 to 24 December and free after admission
• Christmas Traditions family event: Join in our tree celebrations and create your own Christmas crafts to take home. Saturday 4 to Sunday 5 December, 11am to 4pm and free after admission.