As part of the recently-launched campaign, Sustrans is encouraging more people to cycle to and from Swindon railway station and nearby workplaces.
Sustrans is also running a series of commuter bike rides to coincide with National Bike Week. The guided rides will start from various points, including North and West Swindon and Dorcan, and lead members of the public to Swindon railway station.
There will be free breakfast available for anyone cycling to or from the railway station on the 18 and 20 June, along with free cycle maps and information.
Sustrans Swindon Project Officer, Amy Martin said: “This is an excellent opportunity for Swindon residents to familiarise themselves with convenient and mainly traffic-free cycle routes into the town centre area.
“Cycling to work is a great way to incorporate the exercise you need into your daily routine.”
Justin Tomlinson will be joining in the fun, cycling from the Orbital Shopping Centre in North Swindon, on Friday 14 June, starting at 8.15am. He commented: “Swindon is blessed with miles and miles of beautiful cycle paths and this is a fantastic opportunity for fellow local residents to come and discover them.
“For those who commute by train or who work in the Town Centre, cycling is a real alternative to driving. Not only is it cheaper, it is better for your health and the environment too.”
The commuter bike rides will be held on:
• Wednesday 12 June (from West Swindon)
• Friday 14 June (from North Swindon)
• Monday 17 June (from North Swindon)
• Tuesday 18 June (from North Swindon)
• Wednesday 19 June (from West Swindon)
• Thursday 20 June (from West Swindon)
• Friday 21 June (from Dorcan)
Sustrans is working in Swindon with Swindon Travel Choices and First Great Western thanks to funding from the Department for Transport Local Sustainable Transport Fund.
• Sustrans is the charity that’s enabling people to travel by foot, bike or public transport for more of the journeys we make every day. www.sustrans.org.uk
• Sustrans Cycling to Work campaign calls for a national cycle-to-work standard, to give everyone the choice of a smarter, healthier, cheaper commute. http://www.sustrans.org.uk/cycletowork
• Swindon Travel Choices supports the regeneration of Swindon Town Centre by promoting different travel choices to the people who work in the town centre and live in the borough. www.swindontravelchoices.co.uk
• First Great Western provides high speed, commuter, regional and branch line train services, carrying more than 90 million passengers every year http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Our-business
• Details of the Department for Transport Local Sustainable Transport Fund are available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport/series/local-sustainable-transport-fund