Visitors to Swindon & Cricklade Railway (S&CR) at Blunsdon Station have the chance to ride a train pulled by a Swindon built locomotive.
Painted in traditional Great Western Railway livery of green and black, 0-6-0 Pannier Tank 3650 has been loaned by the Didcot Railway Centre to the volunteer-run railway until the end of the year, possibly longer.
Built in 1939 for the Great Western Railway, 3650 is not a glamorous locomotive but is an example of the workhorse engines built at Swindon Works.
3650 was one of a small number of similar locomotives sold by British Railways into private industry in 1963, going to Stephenson Clarke Ltd, a private colliery in South Wales.
It was purchased by a private buyer in 1969, and later that year, arrived at Didcot Railway Centre, where, after some 20 years of restoration effort, 3650 finally returned to traffic in July 2008. The stay with the S&CR is the first time the locomotive has been seen in steam beyond Didcot.
Swindon & Cricklade Railway, Blunsdon Station, Tadpole Lane, Blunsdon, Swindon SN25 2DA. Tel: 771615