February and March were very exciting months for Swindon’s East Locality in terms of flood resilience.
Some of the highlights were:
· The first flood action group meeting in Parks and Walcot
· The second meeting of the flood arm of Liden, being supported and hosted by the Mere’s Residents Association
· The Dorcan Academy’s Junior Flood Action Group’s training day with Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
· More drop in sessions, Swindon Advertiser articles and radio slots to raise awareness of flood resilience and signing people up to be in local flood action groups
· Work really progressing on the content of the e-learning package with New College.
In April, the Covingham flood action group will have their first meeting, the flood action group in Parks and Walcot will have their second meeting to progress with filling out their flood action plan, the Junior Flood Action Group will carry out assemblies within their Academy and start organising activities and events to raise awareness of flood resilience, and there will be big developments on the educational DVD and the e-learning package.
In addition, at Covingham Parish Council’s Annual Assembly on 7 April I will be speaking about the National Flood Forum, the importance of community based approaches to flood risk management, and what we can do in our area to minimise our risk. Please do come along.
Looking further ahead to the summer, there will be a flood fair in Covingham and the e-learning package will be available (good timing for the kids during the summer holidays).
If you would like to be part of a flood action group in your area, or would like to set one up, please contact me on 07842163437 or email@example.com.