Do you have good communication skills and the confidence to motivate people into changing their travel behaviour?
Swindon Travel Choices aims to make it easier for those living or working in Swindon to get around without clogging up the road network. We believe that by giving people proper travel choices, many everyday journeys can be made by bus, bike and foot rather than by car (see www.swindontravelchoices.org.uk for further information).
A key part of this initiative is the West Swindon Personalised Travel Planning (PTP) programme which will offer information and support to residents of West Swindon to try out alternative travel options that might benefit them by saving time or money, getting more active or just enjoying less stressful and more pleasant ways of getting around.
The PTP programme is being delivered by JMP, a specialist transport planning consultancy on behalf of Swindon Borough Council. Successful applicants will be employed by JMP.
We are looking to recruit at least 2 temporary Travel Advisers (to join our current team) to carry out face-to-face discussions with residents and offer information, ideas and advice to help people travel more sustainably and actively. Contact is primarily through door-knocking and at community events.
For an overview of a PTP project in action, please watch our video:
Be part of the travel ambassadors team, right
Essential criteria include:
• Confidence to engage with residents on their doorstep and at events to motivate them to reevaluate their travel choices;
• Good listening and communication skills with the ability to communicate appropriately and
• An interest in and some knowledge of sustainable travel and transport in Swindon;
• Reading, writing, numeracy and IT skills and an ability to take and record clear and accurate notes and input data accurately;
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and plan and manage own workload effectively;
• Ability to work well as part of a team;
• Requirement to undergo a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check.
Work hours and pay
Jobs can be offered on a full time (37.5 hours per week) or part time basis. Shifts are typically between 10am-6pm and 12pm-8pm on weekdays and 10am to 6pm on Saturdays.
The rate of pay is:
· Monday to Friday up to 6.00pm – £8 per hour
· Monday to Friday 6.00pm to 8.00pm – £9 per hour
· Saturday 10.00am to 6.00pm – £9 per hour
The period of employment is from Monday 23rd September to Monday 28th October (5 weeks), with a holiday entitlement equivalent to 28 days per annum period. All those appointed will receive specialist training (for which you will be paid) at the start of the contract.
To apply please visit www.jmp.co.uk/people/join to complete an online application form. You will also be required to submit a CV.
If you have any questions about the position, or are unable to submit your application online,
please contact Donna Cumming email@example.com; 0161 831 5600.
The closing date for completed applications is Monday 16th September. We will then invite short listed candidates to interview on Friday 20th September.
This is a re-advertisement of vacancies advertised during June 2013. Previous applicants need not re-apply.JMP is an Investor in People and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome applications from all.