Good neighbours are rallying around to help a family in Gorse Hill who have been left homeless after their house was gutted early on Friday 17 July.
Tracy Mabbott, who lives across Cricklade Road, launched a GoFundMe online appeal which topped her £1,000 target within 18 hours of it being opened.
She was been awoken in the early hours to a commotion outside and then she heard: ‘Please someone help us, our house is on fire.’
Tracy said: “These are words I will never forget as they came from an 8 year old boy standing outside with with his 7 year old brother (the same age as my two boys) as their mum rescued their 8 month old sister and pet dog whilst their dad tried to put out the fire.
“Within minutes the fire had engulfed the whole house, but fortunately everyone made it out alive. We took the boys in straight away as they are friends with our sons and then mum, baby and dog.
“Dad has been taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol with servere burns to his hands and feet. Mum was taken to GWH for the effects of smoke inhalation and the children were taken there too as a precaution.
“We’re now looking after the family dog, Shelby. She has settled down well and we’ll take her to the vets for a check up.
“This lovely family have lost everything, their home is gutted and I can’t even imagine where they have to start. The Go Fund Me page is the chance for the amazing people of Swindon to come to their help with donations of whatever they can.
“I’m devested for the family; can you help them to get back on their feet.”