A fire in the basement kitchen of a popular Swindon town centre Chinese restaurant earlier today (Mon 9 May) saw over half a dozen emergency vehicles descend on Regent Circus and Princes Street.
The Rendezvous restaurant on Princes Street was shown in multiple social media videos billowing smoke from a chimney as fire crews from Royal Wootton Basset, Swindon, Westlea and Stratton arrive on the scene.
Proprietor Alan Mok said: “There is some damage to the restaurant caused by a burst water tank. Staff sounded the alarm during their breakfast.
“Although we are planning a move to Old Town, this won’t be for at least six months. So we need to open the restaurant as soon as we can after safety checks and repairs have been made.”
Christopher Smith, Group Manager for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service at the scene said: “At 10:36 this morning we had reports of a fire and that people may still be inside the building.
“The Fire and Rescue Service dispatched six vehicles and a control vehicle and on arrival quickly established that all persons were accounted for. Further investigations are in progress, as there may be some pockets of fire within extraction ducting. Police, Ambulance, Swindon Borough Council, the building manager and neighbouring businesses are also helping to resolve the incident.
“A full investigation will be carried out as is the normal procedure, coordinating with the Police to make sure nothing untoward has occurred and ascertain what the cause is. When we arrived, the fire was in a commercial kitchen and associated ducting.”