Back in 1900, Edward Hill set up the Morris Street Brickworks in Rodbourne – and the story of The Hills Group began.
Six years later and trading simply as E Hill, he acquired three neighbouring brickworks at Kingshill, Badbury and Purton. The First World War was significant as it resulted in diversification and the emergence of the now familiar Hills fleet of trucks.
After the war, Edward turned his energy to digging gravel at South Cerney and a stone quarry at Stratton. By the Second World War, the business was trading as E Hill & Sons and was based at Kingshill. Edward’s son Grahame took over from his father and by 1957, the now limited company operated 100 goods vehicles.
In the late 60s and early 70s the company switched from long-distance haulage operations to waste disposal and skips for hire. Upon Grahame’s death in 1977, his son Robert took over as chairman of the company. Robert reorganised the business in the 70s and 80s, ably assisted by the current chairman Alan Pardoe, and they more than anyone shaped the modern day Hills Group.
The company is now run by Robert’s son Mike and has more than 430 employees supporting three core activities:
• recycling and waste management
• quarrying of aggregates and ready-mixed concrete production
• and the building of new homes.
In a typical year, the business manages over 600,000 tonnes of waste, diverting around 60% from landfill.
Hills’ quarrying operations and award-winning restoration work has helped transform the Cotswold Water Park from old gravel pits into both havens for wildlife and popular leisure amenities.
Hills provides millions of pounds in Landfill Communities Fund grants to help preserve sites of environmental importance in partnership with Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and Community First.
The company is currently based at County Park on Shrivenham Road having moved its headquarters in 2014 from Marlborough, where it had been based for 25 years.