This year’s summer has brought about a busy time for Swindon, and the nation as a whole.
In Westminster, my focus, along with my fellow Conservative MPs, has been on the Conservative Leadership contest and the exciting prospect of a new Prime Minister. I am very pleased that Theresa May, with her knowledge and experience of government at the highest level, will now steer us through the challenges ahead, delivering the manifesto that we were elected on last year and providing stability and confidence at this critical time.
Rather aptly, the summer sun has brought Swindon a new solar farm. Constructed in Wroughton, due to a £3 million investment from Swindon Borough Council and a further £1.8 million raised through the public, the site has now started to produce electricity. I am pleased that this project will raise money for the local community with 65% of its profit going towards projects around Swindon whilst the other 35% will provide a steady income for the local council.
I’ve recently joined my North Swindon colleague, Justin Tomlinson MP, in congratulating Zurich after the company was announced as runners-up in the 2016 National Responsible Business Champion award. Both Justin and I nominated Zurich for their work in the community; supporting events, providing staff to assist with charity projects, and making funding available for the community. This is a huge success for both Zurich and Swindon as it is our first time entering the award and Zurich were competing against some strong competition.
Swindon has also been celebrating its rich industrial history over the past few weeks as part of the 175th anniversary of Brunel’s railway works. Last week brought us a cavalcade of classic cars on the magic roundabout. The cars involved all had their body panels pressed at the MINI plant here in Swindon, formerly known as Pressed Steel, which has been in Swindon for 60 years. This showed us all that Swindon not only has a history of trains but also a storied history of cars as well.
You might have seen me opening Swindon Heritage’s first History Day taking place in Radnor Street Cemetery. The event brought together experts on Swindon’s local history for guided talks around the historic cemetery. I have a keen interest in military history so I was thrilled to be a part of the event.
There are still far more Swindon 175 events to look out for if you have missed them, especially at the STEAM museum. You can expect exhibitions based on the rich history of Swindon and the biggest ever Railway Festival later this year. Be assured that there is plenty to look out for in Swindon.
In Parliament, we are fast approaching summer recess. Despite working predominantly in Westminster to ensure the views of South Swindon’s 80,000 constituents are heard, summer recess gives me the opportunity to concentrate solely on constituency events and meetings. Living locally here in South Swindon and having my office on Wood Street enables me to be both visible and approachable (something all MPs should be). Over the next few weeks, I will be busy hosting local advice surgeries, meeting with residents and local businesses, to ensure I fully understand the issues that are important to local people.
If you would like to make an appointment to raise a local or national issue with me, please do not hesitate to contact my office on 01793 533393 or send an email to Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org