In the UK, we all love a drink from time to time. Well, 60% of us do anyway, with six out of 10 of us having a drop of alcohol on a weekly basis. Worldwide, it’s a similar story. However, there’s a rising problem with people who have alcohol problems.
That’s estimated to be a staggering 107 million people worldwide, but does that include you?
While you may not have headed to alcohol rehab yet, do you know if you have a problem or not? And if you think you do, what are you going to do about it?
A new test is asking that question, and has been released by Alcoholics Anonymous to help people identify whether they have a problem with alcohol, to raise awareness of the cruel condition and if they should be seeking help.
The test is incredibly simple and just requires people to run through a series of questions, with the answers unveiling whether you potentially have a problem with alcohol. So, run through the questions below and see if you do. All you need to do is answer yes or no…
- Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
- Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
- Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
- Is drinking affecting your reputation?
- Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
- Do you drink alone?
- Have you lost time from work due to drinking?
- Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
- Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
- Is drinking jeopardising your job or business?
- Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
- Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
- Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking?
- Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
- Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
- Do you want a drink the next morning?
- Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
- Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
- Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking?
- Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking?
Well, how did you get on? Count up the yes or nos and see what you think…
Interestingly, Alcoholics Anonymous state that if you answer yes just once to those then it’s a warning sign you may have a problem with alcohol and could be an alcoholic.
Answer two of those questions with a yes, and then there is a high chance you are an alcoholic, and three or more then there is a very strong chance that you are an alcoholic.
The best thing to do is review the questions, your yeses, and the relationship you have with alcohol to take a serious look at whether you need to do something about your consumption with alcohol and whether you are addicted to the substance.