Swindon Borough Council reveal plans for the new sports hub in Moredon which is set to get underway later this year.
The new facility, just off Akers Way, will be a multi-purpose and multi-generational sports facility aimed at maximising the potential of the site.
Swindon Borough Council says the vision for Moredon seeks to turn the site into one that offers sport and leisure for all ages and promotes inclusion through a wider sporting and well-being community, while fostering a sense of local pride.
The scheme will deliver a pavilion that will support a range of activities from early years and youth programmes during the week, through to light refreshments via a servery hatch on a Sunday morning.
The council added that enabling families to spectate and use café and welfare facilities is key to the sports hub being used by people of all ages.
The new football facilities will also aim to help young local players fulfil their potential within the game.
The regional and national ambition for Moredon’s top class closed road cycle circuit is for it to be recognised by riders and competitors as being the best.
Some highlights of the plans include:
- Full size floodlight 3G pitch, fully enclosed with metal fencing, suitable for multi-team training and senior and junior matches.
- A 1km regional standard cycling closed road circuit with a number of internal loops and cross over points – allows for three separate groups to use the track at one time
- A learn-to-ride offer for younger riders.
- Car park improvements allowing for 125 standard spaces, 11 near accessible spaces, two mini bus spaces and 56 overflow spaces. A coach drop-off will also be included.
- Natural sports pitches including two football pitches and two cricket pitches.
- New pavilion with enhanced changing areas, café and reception area.
The plans were this week approved by Swindon Borough Council’s planning team and will now move to the detailed design phase before the scheme is put out to tender.
Currently, construction should begin on site by autumn 2022.
The hub, which will be delivered by Swindon Borough Council and operated by North Swindon Parish Council, has received support from project partners such as Sport England, British Cycling and the Premier League, The FA and Government’s Football Foundation.
Cllr Robert Jandy, Swindon Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for Culture, Heritage, Leisure and Town Centre Experience, said: “I’m pleased to see progress be made on this incredible project for Moredon.
“Not only will this site provide a welcome facility for people local to the area but it will also be a draw for those further afield, especially with the cycling circuit.
“I look forward to seeing construction begin and can’t wait to enjoy the finished product.”
A Football Foundation spokesperson said: “The Premier League, The FA and Government’s Football Foundation continue to work in partnership with Wiltshire FA and all other parties to deliver this wonderful project.
“The project will not only support grassroots football but will positively impact the local community within the area too.
“We look forward to continued collaboration through to project completion.”