Old Town takeaway fire

By Barrie Hudson - 21 November 2022

Community

Fire crews were called to a takeaway in Devizes Road after a blaze broke out to the rear of the premises.

Witnesses to the incident at Welcome Express yesterday afternoon - 20 November - filmed flames coming from a tall metal duct, and shared the images on social media.
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service sent three fire engines and a platform vehicle.
The fire was extinguished and mopping up operations had begun by 4pm. 
Nearby businesses rallied round to ensure people in Welcome Express at the time - and a cat - were safe.
Jamie Stapleton, co-owner of Devizes Road pub The Tuppenny, was praised on social media for doing his best to keep the blaze under control using fire extinguishers.
A message on the pub's own Facebook page of gave heartfelt thanks to people who helped by doing everything from making an initial 999 call to keeping the road clear for arriving fire crews.
Members of the team at Rays Home Made Ice Cream team provided hot chocolate for people from the takeaway.
 

Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ