Match report: Swindon Town 3 - 2 Sutton United

By Alfie Howlett - 15 September 2022

Clubs & ActivitiesSport

A match report from Swindon Link's STFC correspondent Alfie Howlett.

An injury time header from Jacob Wakeling cancelled out Will Randall's first half brace giving Swindon their second win of the season.

In an action packed first half, Swindon fell behind after former youth player Will Randall opened the scoring for Sutton. However two goals in three minutes by Tryrese Shade and Jonny Williams gave the hosts the upper hand before Randall struck back with a wonder strike prior to the interval.

With an uneventful second half drawing to a close Wakeling rose highest to convert Blake-Tracey's cross.

With all fixtures postponed last weekend, both sides came into the meeting with fresh legs. Last season, Town did the double over Sutton but this season the visitors sat three places ahead of Town. Scott Lindsey made just the one change with deadline day signing Luke Jephcott coming into the eleven.

Before the game commenced the occasion was marked with a minutes silence in remembrance for Her Majesity followed by the a fitting rendition of 'God Save The King.' After football had the opportunity to pay their respects to the late monarch Swindon had the first opportunity of the evening.

An excellent Ben Gladwin cross field pass found Jonny Williams on the wing. Williams then put a low cross on to the head of Jephcott who produced a fine save from close range for a corner.

However, despite the early promise it would be Sutton who took the lead. A long throw in resulted in Donovan Wilson reaching the byline enabling him to pull the ball back to Will Randall. In acres of space inside the box, the former Town youngster calmly slotted past the diving Brynn.

Minutes later the fingertips of Brynn denied Sutton from doubling their advantage. Marcel Lavinier afforded Will Randall too much room to enter the box and find Harry Beautyman with a cross. The vice captain, who was making his 300th appearance for Sutton, forced Brynn to tip his header over for a corner. From the resulting corner, Brynn was on hand to deny Louis John's headed effort.

The opening ten minutes without doubt belonged to Sutton.

Louis Reed came close to changing matters when his free kick required saving from long range. Four minutes later Reed, again, drew a save from Ross with a low right footed effort. Swindon certainly looked better in attack compared to previous weeks, however, they just couldn't find the final ball to threaten.

Their equaliser wouldn't require a final ball but instead a goal keeping error. Just after the half hour mark some neat interplay involving Gladwin and Darcy resulted in a loose ball falling to Shade outside the box. Shade tried his luck with a low effort, which the keeper spilled on a slippery surface into his own net.

Despite it's fortunate manor, the goal proved key for Swindon as they took the lead three minutes later. A mazy dribble from Jonny Williams on half way led to Louis Reed crossing to Ben Gladwin. Gladwin’s header across the face of goal was met by a panicked clearance from Eastmond into his own player.

It led to the ball breaking to Jephcott who tapped it back to Jonny Williams who smashed home from close range. Swindon would however only enjoy the lead for five minutes with Will Randall getting his second goal of the evening. On the counter attack, Randall spun away from Lavinier and then took on a spectacular 30 yard effort which beat Brynn for both power and accuracy. It meant that the two sides would go in at the break level pegging.

The second half saw the first opportunity fall the way of the visitors. After the ball had been cut back to him Craig Eastmond fired over from close proximity.

Five minutes later Rob Milsom's long range effort was destined for the top corner before Sol Brynn tipped it over. Two minutes after the hour mark Jacob Wakeling had his close range attempt denied with a block. Then just shy of 80 minutes, Tyrese Shade cut in and hit a sighter over the bar. The last attempt in normal time would see Remeao Hutton cross to Wakeling who could only apply the direction for a tame header.

With the contest drawing to a close, it appeared that Will Randall had done enough to haunt his former side. But there was one last twist in the tail. Frazer Blake-Tracey's cross found the head of Wakeling who unlike his previous effort applied power as well as direction taking the ball past Ross into the net. It gave Swindon all three points sparking Tryrese Shade to sink to the floor in happiness.

Although it was ugly, the win could potentially be a massive result for Swindon. It could well be the catalyst to start their season, or it could just be papering over the cracks.

A trip to Doncaster on Saturday will no doubt provide further answers. 

Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ