Swindon returns to winning ways with win against Newport County

By Alfie Howlett - 16 October 2023

Clubs & Activities


Goals from Dan Kemp and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, either side of the break, saw Swindon stop their recent rot and return to the play-off positions.

After 3 consecutive defeats in all competition's, Swindon came into the contest in search of a first win of October. The visitor's to SN1 were Michael Flynn's former side Newport County. The South Welsh outfit were languishing towards the bottom of the table with an unwanted record of having the 3rd most leaky defence in the league.

It took Swindon just 8 minutes to draw first blood. Charlie Austin prodded a loose ball on half way through to Dan  Kemp who charged down on goal. Town's number 10 then had the presence of mind to calmly round the Newport keeper, who was stuck in no man's land, and slot into an empty net.

From there the momentum should've been with Swindon. However, Newport's physicality did well to halt any further Town progress. In the next passage of play, Swindon became complacent and incredibly sloppy on the ball. This was highlighted in the 25th minute when George McEachran poorly gave the ball away which allowed Omar Bogle an opportunity on goal. However, the veteran striker failed to capitalise with his long range effort being tipped behind by Mahoney.

Just shy of the half hour mark Jake Young had a brilliant opportunity to double Town's advantage. After some brilliant build up play, which saw Swindon expertly play through the Newport press, Young was set free from a Kemp through ball. However, Young saw his low finish denied by the goal keeper in a 1 V 1 situation. From the resulting corner, Jonathan Maxted was called into action once again, this time to parry Charlie Austin's front post flicked header.

The half time whistle soon came with Swindon going in one goal to the good. Despite, in my opinion, playing one of the worst halves at home all season.

The second half saw the game drift with just the odd half chance for both sides. On reflection Newport had the better of the half chances. This included 2 free headers inside the box for both Ryan Delaney and Omar Bogle which Mahoney claimed with ease on each occasion in the 47th and 67th minute.

With 12 minutes remaining, Saidou Khan almost put the match beyond all doubt, Hepburn-Murphy played him in on goal only for Khan's effort from a tight angle to be saved onto the post. Just 4 minutes later the roles were reversed as Town sealed all 3 points. A right footed Saidou Khan shot was parried only as far as Rushian Hepburn-Murphy who was in the right place at the right time to convert.

Four minutes shy of full time, Hepburn-Murphy almost made it a brace as he chased down a through ball with only the keeper to beat. Unfortunately, for Town the keeper won the race and swept up. In the depths of injury time Newport created their best opportunity of the game. Matthew Bondswell broke into the box and played a perfect ball across the face of goal where Olly Thomas was unable to get on the end of it. This summed up Newport's afternoon and importantly kept the Town clean sheet in tact.

Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Subscribe to The Link

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ