Match report: Swindon Town vs Grimsby Town

By Alfie Howlett - 24 February 2020


Swindon Town 3 Grimsby Town 1
Saturday 22nd February 2020

Swindon made it back to back wins on Saturday afternoon at the County Ground thanks to three quick fire goals in the opening eleven minutes of the second half.

Following the postponement of last Saturday's game against Scunthorpe Swindon came into the game of the back of a ten day break. However despite the break Swindon struggled to get started in the first half. Swindon's best play of the first half came early on when Rarmani Edmonds Green launched a long diagonal ball to Eoin Doyle on the left wing. Doyle controlled the ball beautifully and then cut in to the penalty area and released a shot on his right foot. The goal bound effort was blocked however it fell to Lloyd Isgrove on the edge of the penalty area, Isgrove's shot took a deflection and a fine save from the keeper to prevent the ball from finding the net instead of the cross bar. 
Minutes later Grimsby had their best opportunity of the first half. Elliot Grandin swung a deep ball into the back post where Luke Waterfall met it with a powerful header. Thankfully for Town Steven Benda was able to make a brilliant save tipping it over the bar for a corner kick. 
Swindon once again found the woodwork in the way of taking the lead. This time Michael Doughty dribbled into the box and hit a low shot to the left hand side of the goal but yet again the ball ricocheted of the woodwork. That would be the last clear cut chance of the first half with both teams struggling to create. 
The second half immediately saw Swindon play with their usual attacking intent and with just one minute gone they had the lead. Zeki Fryers hit a long ball to Paul Caddis on the right flank. Caddis then brought the ball down and played the ball to the byline where Diallang Jaiyesemi crossed the ball to Eoin Doyle at the back post, Doyle was then able to knock the ball into the path for the on rushing Jerry Yates to tap into an empty net to make it 1-0. 
Two minutes later Yates became the provider after some good play down the left wing Yates dug out a cross the the unmarked Diallang Jaiyesemi in the middle of the penalty area. This time the post helped Town as Jaiyesemi's looping header went in of the post to double Town's advantage. 
Eight minutes later Swindon wrapped up the match and secured the 3 points following a Grimsby own goal. Some good play from Paul Caddis, Diallang Jaiyesemi and Lloyd Isgrove down the right wing resulted in Isgrove being able to put in a dangerous ball into the box where fortunately for Town Luke Hendre turned the ball into his own net. 
Grimsby did pull a goal back after James Hanson scored from a corner but despite that Swindon were always in control of the match thanks to their dominant eleven minute spell. It wasn't a great performance from Swindon however they got the job done got the three points and got the two point lead at the top of the table. 

Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ