Police are investigating potential drink spiking incident in Swindon

By Jessica Durston - 9 September 2021


The Wiltshire force have also released some advice on how members of the public can help to prevent future spikings when out drinking.

The incident officers are currently investigating occurred in the Old Town area during the early morning hours of Sunday 5 September.
While no specific venue has been identified for where this incident occurred, the victim was said to be drinking in the Old Town area before becoming unwell and being taken to hospital. The police say the victim has since returned home.
CCTV enquiries are ongoing in connection with Saturday’s incident and anyone with information or noticed any suspicious activity is asked to contact Wiltshire police by calling 101 and quoting 54210086361.


With the country now out of lockdown and more people returning to enjoy a night out in towns, cities and villages across Wiltshire the force are asking people to remain vigilant to drink spiking.

Spiking is when someone adds drugs or alcohol to another person’s drink without them knowing. This act is illegal.

A spokesperson for Wiltshire police said: "It is important that if you believe you have been the victim of having your drink spiked, that you report it so we can investigate, spot any patterns of behaviour and act on it to prevent it."

While officers will continue to work with partner agencies and licensed premises on tackling this offence and keeping people safe when out socialising, they continue to urge people to take the following steps to help prevent people from becoming victims to spikings:

• Never leave your drink unattended
• Don't accept a drink from someone you don't know
• Keep an eye on your friends' drinks
• Stay away from situations that you don't feel comfortable with
• If someone appears very intoxicated, do not leave them unattended or with a stranger, make sure they are safe
• Don't give out too much information to someone you've just met, such as your address

Cllr Simon Jacobs, Wiltshire Council Cabinet Member for Public Health and Public Protection, said: “No one should feel unsafe while enjoying a night out. We hope by raising awareness of this type of illegal activity it will ensure people know the signs and behaviours to look out for.

“We will continue to work in partnership with the police and other services to identify any other community concerns and ensure we share these types if important messages far and wide.”

Members of the public can report any suspicious incidents or concerns about drink spiking online at https://www.wiltshire.police.uk/ro/report/

The force also stresses that the public should always call 999 in an emergency.

Alternatively anonymous reports can be made to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111.

Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ