Swindon man sentenced to 10-and-a-half-years for rape

By Jamie Hill - 23 February 2024


A man from Swindon has been sentenced to 10-and-a-half years in prison for a non-recent rape.

Carl Wallis, 38, of Brookdene, was sentenced today (23/02) at Swindon Crown Court after being found guilty during a three day trial in December 2023.

He will also be on the Sex Offenders' Register for life and the subject of a restraining order for the victim. 

It follows an incident in 2016 where he took advantage of his victim whilst she was passed out, and unresponsive, which was only discovered six years later on a mobile phone.

In a Victim Personal Statement she said: "The day I found the video and pictures on the mobile phone ... I was in total shock. I did not know what to think or feel, I felt completely numb. I could not believe what I had just seen I felt sick.

"I feel dirty and humiliated... I will never be free from the monster."

DC Anna McCormack, the investigating officer, said: "Every sexual assault has a huge impact on victims. In this incident the victim discovered the offence had taken place when she was at her most vulnerable; asleep, and by someone she trusted.

"I'd like to thank her for her incredible bravery by reporting the offence and giving evidence during this trial. Without her continued assistance, the outcome would not have been possible.

"I'd encourage anyone who has been the victim of a sexual assault to please report it, do not suffer alone. We understand it can be difficult. You might not be completely sure what happened or how to talk about it. Our trained officers and partner organisations are here to listen and work together to support you in any way we can. Importantly, your information could help us bring the offender to justice and make sure you, and other people in a similar situation, are kept safe."

You can find more information on our website: How to report rape and sexual assault | Wiltshire Police or you can call 999 in an emergency

If you don't want to go to the police, you could go to your local sexual assault referral centre (SARC).

The trained staff there can give you confidential medical help and advice. They can also gather evidence for you to use at a later date, if you decide to report the assault to the police. They won't contact the police unless you want them to.

Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Subscribe to The Link

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ