Fire safety advice for students in new accommodation

By Barrie Hudson - 22 September 2023


Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued timely advice for students settling into new homes.

The service, as part of the Fire Kills campaign which runs until the beginning of October, is encouraging all students to have a think about their fire safety.

Education Manager Tess Cross said: “With all the excitement and opportunity that university life brings, fire safety might not be at the top of your list of priorities.”

“However, in amongst all your studying and socialising, taking a few moments to think about your accommodation, how you use it and what you might do to reduce any fire risks might save your life.”

The firefighters' top tips are:

- Don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care when frying with oil

- Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol, especially late at night

- If you smoke, make sure you put your cigarette out, right out

- Keep candles away from flammable surfaces or material that might burn – such as curtains, TVs, bath tubs – and never leave lit candles unattended

- Don’t overload plug sockets and switch off electrical equipment such as chargers, hair straighteners and blow dryers when not in use

- Make sure you know your escape routes and have a plan B in case your route is blocked

- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999

Tess Cross added, “Each and every university or college has a person responsible for fire safety. If you spot a fire risk or have any concerns, then you should speak to them, or your accommodation provider.”


Your Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Login or Register to post a comment on this article

Subscribe to The Link

Registered in England & Wales. No: 4513027, Positive Media Group, Old Bank House, 5 Devizes Road, Old Town, Swindon, SN1 4BJ