Work could soon begin to transform Swindon’s Grade II historic former Pattern Store into a ‘contemporary place of worship’ and community space for the Church of England.
A planning application has been lodged with Swindon Borough Council to convert the building – until recently home to Bottelino’s Italian Restaurant.
The Diocese of Bristol plans to use the site as part of a strategic initiative to establish a resource church to support and resource other churches in Swindon as well as the wider community.
Plans submitted show that the 498msq lower ground floor will house a worship area, with the 390sqm ground floor area being used for a café, meeting space and an office.
Under the proposed changes to the space, the first floor area – which has been disused since 1986 – will be used as a ‘youth space’ with a workspace above on the second floor.
The former GWR Pattern Store building was built in 1897 as part of a major expansion of the Swindon railway works before its closure in 1986. The building was listed grade II in 1990.
The lower floors were formerly used to house Bottelino’s restaurant which closed in early 2017.
The former Pattern Store stands immediately outside the Swindon Railway Works Conservation Area, which was designated in April 1987.
To see the plans click this link
And search for application number S/18/2029